Usually, ShipWorks customers use the setup wizard when installing SQL Server, but sometimes the installation needs to be done manually.
To install SQL Server 2014 Express manually, you will need to follow both steps below. The first step illustrates how to install and configure the SQL Server database (where your ShipWorks is stored). The second step will connect your ShipWorks program with the database.
It is recommended that (if possible) you make a backup copy of your database before proceeding.
Step One: Manually Installing SQL Server 2014 Express
You will need to manually install SQL Server 2014 from Microsoft’s website and then connect it with ShipWorks. The instructions in this section will walk you through the manual installation of SQL Server 2014.
1. Select the correct version of Microsoft SQL Server 2014 from the Microsoft Website, fill out the form, and click the Continue button to initiate downloading your file. (You may need to create a Microsoft account to access the download). To select the proper download, you will need to know if you’re running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows.
2. Click Run.
3. On the SQL Server 2014 Setup screen, accept the license terms and click Next.
4. Click Next through the Microsoft Windows Update and Product Updates screens.
5. On the Feature Selection screen, keep the defaults (Database Engine Services and SQL Server Replication checkboxes are enabled) and click Next.
6. On the Instance Configuration screen, select “Named Instance” and name it ShipWorks2014. Click Next.
7. Click Next until you get to the Database Engine Configuration screen and select Mixed Mode, then create a password for your SQL Server. Write down your password and keep it somewhere important–you will need it to connect with ShipWorks. Click Next.
8. Click Next until your setup is complete. Click Close.
Step Two: Connecting ShipWorks to SQL Server 2014
1. Open ShipWorks and click the Logo button > Database > Configuration.
2. On the next screen, click the Configure Database button.
3. Click Show Advanced Options and select the Setup a new ShipWorks database option.
4, Select the Choose a Different Instance of Microsoft SQL Server option and click Next.
5. Select your instance from the drop-down menu. If you don’t see it, you can always type it in. It should be your computer’s name, followed by SHIPWORKS2014. In this example, it’s YOURCOMPUTERSHIPWORKS2014.
If you fail the connection check, click the Change link and select Mixed Mode. Enter sa as the username and enter the password you created during the SQL installation (above).
6. Click Edit to create a name for your new database or leave as-is and click Next.
7. Create a ShipWorks account by entering what a username, email address, and password you want associated with your ShipWorks login. Click Next.
Do you need more help or have another question? We’re here to help and we have FREE phone and email support. Send us a message or give us a call and someone from our customer support team in St. Louis will get back to you.