Backorders are a normal, albeit inconvenient, aspect of ecommerce. ShipWorks now makes it easier to manage customer expectations when backorders occur by allowing you to split an order into multiple orders. This new feature, available with ShipWorks version 5.21 or later, can come in handy if you want to ship a customer the available items from their order while others are backordered.
By splitting orders in ShipWorks, you can independently manage each split order, whether you’re processing shipments or marking the local status of the orders. You’re able to choose the items, quantities and charges to be included in each split order. You can even create a filter in ShipWorks that will help you easily identify split orders, resulting in more precise monitoring of unfulfilled components on a split order.
You can only split orders if using ShipWorks version 5.21 or later. If you need assistance with upgrading your version of ShipWorks, please see this article.
When you need to split an order, select the order on the main orders grid and select the Split option one of two ways:
- Right click on the selected order and select Split Order form the context menu
- Select the Home tab and then click on the Split button
At this point the Split Order screen displays. At this point, you can make a few changes before confirming the order split. You can:
- update your new order number (by default the new order number for the split order will have a suffix of -1)
- select the item quantities that will be split onto the new order
- specify the amount of each order charge that you wish to split with the new order