2016 USPS Rate Changes
The new USPS postage rates became effective on Sunday, January 17, 2016. Below are some highlights on this rates change:
– First Class Package rates had an average increase of 12.8%.
– Priority Mail rates had an average increase of 9.4%.
– Priority Mail Express rates had an average increase of 15.6%.
– Parcel Select Non-Presort is now called Parcel Select Ground.
– Priority Mail Regional Rate Box C was discontinued.
– Commercial Based Pricing is no longer available for Click-N-Ship. Its new rates are retail pricing.
But don’t worry yet! ShipWorks will continue to provide the lowest rates available and automatically update the new rates into our software.
First Class Package Service
FCP Service rates had an average increase of 12.8%. The maximum weight for First Class Package Service increased to 15.9999 ounces (from up to 13 ounces).
Priority Mail rates had an average increase of 9.4%.
Priority Mail Flat Rate Boxes & Envelopes
Rates for Priority Mail Flat Rate Boxes as well as Envelopes increased across the board in this rates change.
Priority Mail Regional Rate Boxes
Postage for Priority Mail Regional Rate Boxes A and B increased for most of the zones as shown below. Priority Mail Regional Rate Box C is discontinued.
Priority Mail Express
The Priority Mail Express service had an average increase of 15.6% in postage rates. The new rates for packages of service increased across the board, with the exception of packages weighing less than 0.5 lbs being shipped to Zones 5, 6 and 7.
Priority Mail Express Flat Rate Boxes & Envelopes
Priority Mail Express Flat Rate Boxes is discontinued and Priority Mail Express Flat Rate Envelopes had an increase of $2.55.
Parcel Select Ground
The Parcel Select Non-presort changed its name to Parcel Select Ground. Parcel Select Ground rates had an average increase of 1.9%. Postage rates went down for packages between 3 – 10 lbs. and being shipped to Zones 1 – 5.
An increase in postage rates for international shipping also started on January 17, 2016. Below are some highlights in international mail classes:
– Global Express Guaranteed rates rose by an average of 7.1%.
– Priority Mail Express International rates increased by an average of 11.6%.
– Flat Rate Boxes for this international service is discontinued.
– Prices for Priority Mail Express International Flat Rate Envelopes and Boxes are separated into additional country groups.
– Priority Mail International rates had an overall increase of 10.2%. Commercial Base Pricing for this service remains the same.
– First Class Package International Service rates increased by an average of 21.6%, however Commercial Base price remains the same.
– Critical Mail: The USPS discontinued this service to further simplify its product offerings,
– Click-N-Ship Features: Will continue to be available on USPS.com, and was moved to retail pricing. Commercial Base pricing for these features is no longer available.