The USPS will be implementing new postage rates on Sunday, January 27, 2019. Listed below are the highlights of the 2019 USPS rate increase for customers buying postage online:
First Class Mail Letters
- The First Class Mail letter (1 oz.) rate for postage purchased at the Post Office is increasing by five cents to $0.55 from $0.50.
- Each additional ounce for a First Class Mail letter will cost an extra $0.15 (a decrease from $0.21 in 2018).
- First Class Mail Flats/Large Envelope rates are not increasing in 2019, remaining at $1.00 (1 oz.), with additional ounces costing $0.15.
- Postcard rates are also not increasing in 2019, remaining at $0.35.
- Customers who print postage online (via Stamps.com), the Metered Mail rate will now be a 5 cent discount compared to the Post Office price with rates increasing to $0.50 in 2019 from $0.47 currently.
- Each additional ounce will cost an extra $0.15 in 2019, a decrease from $0.21 currently.
- The five cent discount for online postage on a one-ounce First Class Mail letter represents a savings of 9% for consumers and small business owners.
Priority Mail Express (Commercial Base Pricing)
- Priority Mail Express will see an average increase of 3.9%.
- A 1 lb. package going to Zone 8 using Priority Mail Express will cost $36.52 in 2019 compared to $35.04 currently.
- The USPS is adjusting the DIM Divisor for Priority Mail Express packages over 1 cubic foot (1728 cubic inches) from 194 to 166.
- Commercial Plus Pricing has been eliminated.
Priority Mail Express Flat Rate (Commercial Base Pricing)
- Priority Mail Express Flat Rate Envelopes will also see a rate increase ranging from $0.70 to $0.72 depending on the envelope used.
Priority Mail (Commercial Base Pricing)
- Priority Mail will see an average increase of 5.9%.
- A 1 lb. package going to Zone 8 using Priority Mail will cost $8.25 in 2019 compared to $7.76 currently.
- Heavier weights for Priority Mail are seeing a rate decrease. For packages weighing between 11 lbs. and 70 lbs., all shipping zones are seeing lower rates compared to 2018. Cost savings range from $0.11 (11 lbs. Zone 1/2 = $10.67) to $1.37 savings (70 lbs. Zone 8 = $184.51) compared to 2018.
- Medium weight packages (4 lbs. to 10 lbs.), traveling to Zone 5 and higher are seeing a decrease in rates compared to 2018, with costs being reduced by $0.17 (7 lbs. Zone 5 = $15.43) to $0.63 (5 lbs. Zone 8 = $20.40)
- NOTE: The Dimensional Weight (DIM) divisor for Priority Mail packages will not take place until June 23, 2019. After that, Priority Mail packages over 1 cubic foot (1728 cubic inches) is being adjusted from 194 to 166.
- NOTE: After June 23, 2019 Priority Mail parcels in ALL shipping zones will receive DIM pricing for packages over 1 cubic foot. Previously, only Priority Mail parcels being delivered to Zones 5-9 received DIM pricing.
- Commercial Plus Pricing has been eliminated.
Priority Mail Flat Rate Boxes & Envelopes (Commercial Base Pricing)
- Priority Mail Medium Flat Rate Box is decreasing by five cents to $12.80 in 2019 from $12.85 currently.
- Priority Mail Priority Mail Large Flat Rate Box is decreasing by five cents to $17.60 in 2019 from $17.65 currently.
- Priority Mail Padded Flat Rate Envelope, a popular option for e-commerce sellers, is increasing by $0.45 to $7.55 in 2019 from $7.10 currently.
Priority Mail Regional Rate (Commercial Base Pricing)
Regional Rate Box A
- Closer shipping zones (Zones 1/2 through Zone 5) are seeing bigger rate increases from $0.55 (Zone 1/2 = $7.65) to $0.61 (Zone 5 = $8.76).
- Packages traveling to farther shipping zones are seeing a smaller rate increase – going up by $0.26 (Zone 7 = $10.55) and to $0.40 (Zone 8 = $11.20)
Regional Rate Box B
- Other than Zone 1/2 where the rate increase is $0.64, the increase is relatively small at $0.08 (Zone 3 = $8.50), $0.03 (Zone 4 = $9.40) and no rate increase for farther Zones 5-8.
First Class Package Service (Commercial Base Pricing)
- Overall rates for First Class Package Service will increase by 11.9%.
- Zone-based pricing is being added to First Class Package Service in 2019.
- Any package going across the country (Zone 8) is seeing a significant rate increase going up from $0.43 (Zone 8 – 1 ounce = $3.09) to $1.43 (Zone 8 – 13 ounces = $5.53)
- 13 ounce packages in particular are rising across all zones, increasing $0.84 (Zone 1/2 = $4.94) to $1.43 (Zone 8 = $5.53)
- Heavier items weighing 15 ounces to 15.999 ounces are seeing a smaller increase, going from no increase at all (Zone 1/2 = $4.94) to $0.59 (Zone 8 = $5.53)
Parcel Select Ground (Commercial Base Pricing)
- Shipping rates for Parcel Select Ground will decrease by an average of 1.3% in 2019.
- For parcels weighing between 3 lbs. and 18 lbs. and traveling to farther zones (Zone 5-9), every cell is seeing a rate decrease in 2019.
- Parcel Select Group is also seeing a rate decrease for all zones for parcels weighing between 21 to 70 pounds
- The Dimensional Weight (DIM) divisor for Parcel Select Ground packages over 1 cubic foot (1728 cubic inches) is being adjusted from 193 to 166.
- Media Mail rates will increase by 2.95% in 2019.
- A 1 lb. package traveling to Zone 8 will cost $2.75 in 2019 compared to $2.66 currently.